Churches and monuments

SAINT GEORGE’S CHURCH BELGRADE

Zrmanjska Street No1, Banovo brdo, phone number 381 11 3555-942

As Cukarica did not have its own church, in 1925 a trader Mitar Jovanovic, asked Serbian Patriarch Demetrius to give the land for building the church in the memory of Julian and Ljubomir, Mitar’s children who died very young. Jovanovic had two different wishes: that the church was dedicated to Saint George, and that his family tomb was under the future church. Architect Vasilije Androsov made the project for this church. The cornerstone was consecrated in May 1928, and the construction was finished in 1932. The church interior is not fresco painted. There is balance between the indoor and outdoor beauty of the church, and it is depicted in a balanced way. The iconostasis made in wood in the spirit of the Ohrid school contributed to the full interior beauty of the church, and its creator was Nestor Aleksijevic. There are large size icons on the walls. The icon of Saint Nicolas is one of the most beautiful, and it is the work of Russian painter Kolesnikov. There is kindergarten “Djurdjevak“ within the church. 

CHURCH OF SAINT PETKA

Cukaricka padina

Church of Saint Petka was built in October 2004, near Ada Ciganlija, in the part of the city called Cukaricka padina, at the corner of two streets- Lazarevacki drum and Obalskih radnika Street. The foundation of the temple was consecrated in 1999, and its construction began in August 2001. However, groundwater was found there and the soil was unsuitable for the construction, and a floating slab was accepted as the best solution. The author of the project is a professor and an architect, Branko Pesic. The church was designed in the Serbian-Byzantine style. Elements of contemporary architecture were incorporated in order to fit in the neighborhood residential area. The church's exterior is made of white marble, decorated with a gold border and rosettes. The church has a cross in its foundation, and the church also has five domes - the main and four small, two of which are steeples. The Society of pious women is active within the church. They, together with priests, visit sick people. The church has mixed choir. 

CHURCH OF THE VIRGIN BIRTH

Velika Mostanica

The church in Velika Mostanica was built in 1858. The iconostasis was made in 1906, and apart from it, there are a number of significant ancient icons and objects of the applied art. This church has many old and important 19th century books. It is not usually the case with other churches in Belgrade area. Despite numerous wars, all church documentation from the time when the church was built, was saved- church protocols, record books, birth, baptism and death lists. The church, along with Veterans’ cemetery, was declared cultural monument. 

 

 

ЦРКВА ВАЗНЕСЕЊА ГОСПОДЊЕГ

Zarkovo

The church foundation was consecrated in September 1936. Architect Victor Lukomski made the project for the church, and it was designed in the tradition of the Morava school of Serbian medieval monuments. The church looks like a trefoil made of one large semicircular apse on the eastern part of the church, and two semicircular parts for church choir. Above the central part rises a great dome that rests on four pillars and supporting arches. There is the bell tower above the lower narthex on the west side of the church. The facade of the church is plastered with stone blocks that are rustic and deployed in a decorative way on the wall surface. The churchyard is known to be one of the biggest and the most beautiful Belgrade churchyards. This religious complex includes a church, parish house built in 1987, and a chapel finished in 2006. 

 

 

CHURCH OF SAINT KING STEFAN OF DECANI

Zeleznik

The church was built in 1906, at the place of the old village cemetery, opposite the school, probably on the foundation of some older church. Gravestones of this cemetery were used for building the stone blocks foundation. Its founder was Katarina Jovanovic. Her family tomb is located in the crypt of the church, and the church is dedicated to Saint Stefan of Decani, her slava, a Serbian family celebration of a saint. Architect Dragomir Tadic made the project for the church. It is a single structure, without the dome, with semicircular (outside pentagonal) apse on the east, and a small narthex on the west side. It has a vault with two supporting arches, which divide the nave into three compartments. On the west side near the church entrance, a smaller vestibule with the bell tower was erected. It was built in the spirit of Serbian Byzantine school of architecture with the distinctive walls. The parish house and chapel have recently been built in the churchyard.

Monuments

Monument to Serbian soldiers killed while defending Belgrade in 1915 is unique among cultural and historical monuments. It was built by the enemy as a sign of respect to their opponents, on the northwest part of Kosutnjak. "Here lie Serbian heroes" is inscribed there in Serbian and German language. It was the order of German commander, Marshal August von Mackensen.  Nearby is a monument to the Austro-Hungarian soldiers who were also killed in the First World War battles

Topcider cemetery from 19th century is a unique part of Cukarica and Belgrade history. There is a simple, but beautiful monument to a writer Isidora Sekulic, obelisk over the grave of Duke Stevan Knicanin, monument to Archibald Reiss, a great friend of the Serbian people, monument to Zanka Stokic, etc. Throughout the municipality there are several monuments to fallen soldiers, and memorials that remind us of important people and events from the past.