History

It has recently been two centuries since Cukarica got the municipality status. However, its genuine history began in 1842, at the confluence of the Topcider River and the Sava River, below Kamenjak Hill, where a small tavern was built.  Traders and travelers from Sabac, Valjevo, Ub and Obrenovac used to visit the tavern before entering Belgrade. The tavern’s owner was Stojko Jankovic, who got the nickname“Cukar“, and the tavern was called “Cukarevo“. Later, the whole residential area was called Cukarica.

During two centuries, Cuharica has transformed from one vast, open field near Cukar’s tavern to the first industrial centre and Belgrade tourist attraction. The next major event in the rich Cukarica biography took its place in the middle of 1861, when a writer and diplomat, Matija Ban built a villa on the hill with a beautiful view at the Sava River and the city. Representatives of the then Belgrade high-class used to gather there. 

Фабрика шећера

Фабрика шећера
At the end of the 19th century, many rich people in Banovo brdo followed Ban's example, and built their villas. At the same time, at the banks of the Cukaricki branch a lot of factories and workers’ colonies were made. Further, the history of modern Belgrade water supply began with its first construction in Bele vode in 1892. Cukarica’s industrial boom began with the construction of the first sugar refinery in the Balkans, and the shipyards of the First Serbian privileged steamship society. In 1904 Cukarica had 762 inhabitants, 6 factories, 35 independent workshops and 8 public buildings.

However, forming Cukarica municipality did not go smoothly. Municipality Zarkovo was its fierce opponent, because they had been in charge of the mentioned territory until 1911. Industrialists in Cukarica launched a process of municipality declaration because of the economic reasons. It led to a serious conflict with Zarkovo residents who protested violently and even fought with the police, but the triggered set of events could not have been changed any more. On 17th December 1911 the National Assembly of the Kingdom of Serbia adopted a decision that Cukarica could be extracted from Zarkovo municipality. Cukarica became an independent municipality on 31th December 1911, by a decree of King Peter.

Споменик српским ратницима

Споменик српским ратницима
Shortly after that the First World War started, and it stopped huge development of the municipality. The ascending part between the Cukaricki branch and Banovo brdo was the site of the fiercest battles for defending Belgrade. Brave soldiers tried to stop elite German military units supported by artillery fire. Therefore, German Emperor Wilhelm ordered that attackers and defenders were buried together, and that Serbian defenders had a monument which even today stands proudly in Kosutnjak.

Factories that we know today were built in the period between the two wars: “Zelengora” and “Kartonka” in Umka, FMP in Cukarica slopes, “Brodotehnika” shipyard in Makis, oil depot, and a factory for the production of aircraft engines and its parts in Rakovica, which was a part of Cukarica then.

Фабрика Иво Лола Рибар - Железник

Фабрика Иво Лола Рибар - Железник
Factory “Ivo Lola Ribar” in Zeleznik triggered the development of economy. Thousands of people were employed and the factory had a huge export all over the world. In 1990 Cukarica had Од 154 632 residents and 34 056 were employed in the companies in this municipality. “Lola” had 9800 workers then. However, the period of industrial Cukarica was over because of the sanctions during the 1990s. The industry of the whole country was ruined.

Since the early nineties up to now the number of residents in Cukarica has been increased for 50 000. Today Cukarica has 200 000 residents, and that number gradually increases. Industrial giants do not exist anymore. Artists and bohemians were among the first to discover the magic of the first floats in Cukaricki branch. Momo Kapor made the myth about the urban oasis Ada Ciganlija eternal, through his books and paintings.

The new bridge over the Sava River brought the new epoch for Cukarica. That bridge directly connects Cukarica to the rest of Belgrade. Cukarica became more attractive for investing in tourism and residential development. The better future is in front of us, come and convince yourself.